The last year has done a lot to the hopes and dreams of the worker. Pensions are gone. Retirement funds are hitting rock bottom. Even the threat of losing your job is more probable then ever.
But for some people, all of this doesn’t even cross their minds. They knew it was coming. And they did something about it.
I’m talking about people that went out and started their own businesses.
It doesn’t have to be a full time career. Or even have a master plan. Instead, they simply went out, learned something new, and started making money at it.
Now if you look at a lot of the guru’s on the Internet today, they make it seem so easy to earn $40k every single month – and to be able to pick up that type of income in just a matter of months. Honestly, the one’s you read about are the exceptions – the few that saw things align perfectly, and had everything come together in just the right manner.
But even if you don’t earn an extra $40k per month, wouldn’t it be nice to know an extra $2k is coming in?
That’s one of my goals with Vision Of Success. I’m here to show you how to take your hobby and turn it into an income stream. I’ve spent the last 7 years writing information to help you get started with your business planning, and helping you understand how to turn it into a side income using online sources.
Maybe you’re worried about the longevity of your job. Or maybe you’ve recently been laid off. In either case, its time to start building for your own future.
1. Choose one thing that could help bring in an extra income stream. Maybe you love taking pictures. Maybe everyone raves about your brownies. Or maybe you love scrapbooking. Whatever your interest, there is a way to make money at it.
2. Look at your hobby and start coming up with ways other people make money at it. For instance, a photographer can take portraits of babies, sell their photographs to stock agencies, or create a line of greeting cards. Make your list and fill it with ideas.
3. Carefully evaluate your list. If baby portraits is on your list, but you don’t enjoy being around children, it’s probably not a great fit for you. As you narrow down your selections, circle ideas that truly make you happy.
4. Start finding mentors that can be guides for you. I’ve read hundreds of notes from people saying its impossible to make money as a stock photographer. Yet I know of quite a few who are making six figure incomes as stock photographers. Is anything possible? Definitely – if you put your mind to it. Don’t listen to the nay-sayers. Instead, find people who have done it, and follow in their footsteps.
5. The biggest mistake small business owners make is thinking they can do it all themselves. You can’t. Even if money is tight in the beginning, utilize all the tools available to you. For instance, one of the hottest topics right now is using social networking to grow your business. But if you don’t understand how to utilize the tools, you’ll be spinning your wheels and wasting your time for months or even years. Invest in training to get up and running in days; not weeks or months. My Social Networking Bootcamp is a great tool to get you on the road to success in just a few hours.
6. Choose one niche, and work it well. The problem with being online is, well, being online. I can easily come up with a hundred different ideas every day. One day I may be building a website – the next a blog. And the next day I may be off and running with a membership site. The only way to succeed online is to create an idea, put it into place, allow it to make money – and then duplicate it in another way. Stay true to your purpose until your purpose has a payoff.
7. Create a strategy. You can’t just hope money will start coming in. As a small business owner, you have to have goals and steps to achieve those goals all planned. The statistics show that people with a plan have a lot more success than people who don’t. Planning works because you have the numbers in front of you. I personally love putting check marks by the lines I accomplish. It makes me know I’m achieving my goals, and helps me see my results. Very important to those that are now working for themselves.
[Feel like you’re running around in circles every day without a plan? Maybe its time to put your business on the right track.]